Any boat owner or aficionado will tell you that boats are high maintenance. Even new boats require a lot of upkeep both inside and out. Although complications are inevitable for any equipment that operates in the water, keeping your boat in good shape and tackling small repairs as they come is key to preventing larger issues down the road. Regularly washing your boat is also a small but important preventative measure. Those of us that live near the coast know all too well the corrosive power of saltwater, but any body of water is going to leave a mark in one way or another. Rinsing your boat with fresh water after each use is a great way to reduce wear-and-tear but giving your boat a good scrub down will get the grime that water won’t remove by itself. Here are some tips to help give your boat the best shine:
- When possible, take your boat out of the water to clean it.
- Rinse your boat after each use and keep a good scrub brush on board to spot clean with. If you are operating in saltwater it is important to flush the motor after each use.
- Touching up dirty spots and stains as they appear will help reduce the need for “deep cleanings.” Our BD-30 Degreaser and Natural Orange cleaner are both great options for spot cleaning and all over cleaning.
- Using a pressure washer with a low PSI (1000-2500) will clean more efficiently and will remove more debris than a garden hose. We recommend this BE electric wall mount pressure washer or a PSI Phantom gas powered unit.
- Pay attention to the dilution instructions for any cleaners you are using. More soap does not mean a better clean! Our Natural Orange cleaner works great on boats and continues to perform well at high-dilution ratios. Always apply soap from the bottom up and rinse from the top down.
- Use harsher chemicals for spot cleaning & wipe off with a rag instead of rinsing when possible.
- Try our Armor Bright Surface Renovator to clean, renew and protect your upholstery.
- Finish with a protective wax to help repel dirt. Our Car Wash & Wax Concentrate also works great for boats & allows you to wash and wax in just one step!